Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s Image in Ukrainian Folklore
The core of the defined problem lies in the analysis of the thematic folklore cycle connected with the figure of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, the famous statesman and military leader, as well as with the historical epoch that received the hetman’s name. The theme is noted for the high level of urgency and has inexhaustible gnoseological (epistemological) potential notwithstanding the considerable number of existing works.
Purpose The goal of this research is the folklore based study of Bohdan Khmelnytsky and his epoque’s image folklore interpretation particularities. The literary sources under analysis are represented by various genres of folk literature as the works of such kind alongside with thematic literary sources of old times made the foundation for the hetman’s image presentation in the later belles lettres and scholarly research of Ukraine.
Results Textual analysis of different genres folklore works enabled the reconstruction of the generally many-sided picture of Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s folklore image.The folk stories and legends in particular offer different versions concerning the Hetman’s genealogy, his personal life and death circumstances. Folk dumas (ballads) and songs tell about the Hetman’s state-creating and military activity and reveal the public view of the Liberation war events. Alongside with apparent glorification and hyperbolization of Bohdan Khmelnytsky’s person, as well as his activity, these genres comprise his negative assessment. Thus, in the representation of such an ideologically touchy issue as the Council of Pereyaslav, especially in the context of present-day Eastern-Ukrainian events, the folklore texts can be divided into two groups: the ones that approve and those utterly disapproving Khmelnytsky’s decision. The occurrence of Hetman’s name in such folklore genres as proverbs, sayings or idioms is less frequent and is characterized by people’s positive attitude to Khmelnytsky.
Originality is grounded on the wide circle of folklore sources, is given a complex analysis, the controversial representation of Bohdan Khmelnytsy’s folklore image is given proofs and the phenomenon of customized character of these epic works or their tendentious modification in a definite historiosophic, mostly pro-Moscow dimension.
Conclusion B. Khmelnytsky’s image gained considerable popularity in various Cossack folklore genres. Despite the dominance of positive characteristics of the hetman’s personality and activity the folklore works as well offer some negative assessments. The theme requires further historiographic and literary study.
1. UkrainskI pisni, vidanI M. Maksimovichem (1962). Kyiv: AN URSR (in Ukr.)
2. Kostomarov, M. (1962). Bogdan Hmelnitskiy. Kyiv: Veselka (in Ukr.)
3. Istoricheskie pesni malorusskogo naroda s ob’yasneniyami W. Antonovicha i M. Dragomanova. (1975). Kyiv, 2, 1. Pesni o borbe s Polyakami pri Bogdane Hmelnitskom (in Russ.)
4. Franko, I. (1986). Studіi nad ukrainskimi narodnimi pіsnyami: Hmelnichchina (dumi, pіsnі ta vіrshі). Zіbrannya tvorIv :u 50 t. Kyiv, 43, 5-193 (in Ukr.)
5. Kolessa, F. M. (1920). Ukrayinskі narodni dumi. L.: Prosvita (in Ukr.)
6. Gomin, L. (1960). Vizvolna viyna 1648–1654 rr. u narodniy tvorchosti. Kyiv: Rad. shkola (in Ukr.)
7. Homenko, V. (1953). Vizvolna viyna 1648–1654 rr. u narodniy poetichniy tvorchosti. Literatura v shkoli, 6, 19-26 (in Ukr.)
8. Nechitalyuk, M. (1954). Obraz Hmelnitskogo v ukrainskom narodnom tvorchestve. Sovetskaya Ukraina, 1, 172-177. (in Russ.
9. Pinchuk, S. (1957). Obraz B. Hmelnitskogo v narodnIy tvorchostI. Zhovten, 8, 142-152 (in Ukr.)
10. Tischenko, V. (1979). Folklor pro vizvolnu viynu 1648–1654 rr. pid provodom Bogdana Hmelnitskogo. Narodna tvorchist ta etnografiya, 1, 18-23 (in Ukr.)
11. Shevchuk, V. (1995). «VItchizni sinom buv…». Kiyivska starovina, 4, 69-81 (in Ukr.)
12. Poischuk, V. Slava ne vmre, ne polyazhe… Cherkasi: Siyach (in Ukr.)
13. Nabok, M. (2003). Shtrihi do harakteristiki svItoglyadu ukraYinskih narodnih dum. Narodna tvorchIst ta etnografIya, 4, 18-23 (in Ukr.)
14. Volinets, Yu. (2008). Folklorniy obraz Bogdana Hmelnitskogo i yogo retseptsIya v kritichniy literaturi / Yu. Volinets. Visnik Cherkaskogo universitetu. SerIya: Filologichni nauki. Cherkasi, 138, 157-167 (in Ukr.)
15. Ukrainska folkloristika: slovnik-dovidnik. (2008). Ternopil: Pidruchniki i posibniki (in Ukr.)
16. Savur-mogila. (Legendi ta perekazi Nizhnoy i Naddnipryanschini). (1990). Kyiv: Dnipro (in Ukr.)
17. Ukrainska narodna entsiklopediya. (1996) L.: Chervona kalina (in Ukr.)
18. Geroichniy epos ukrainskogo narodu : hrestomatiya. (1993). Kyiv: Libid, 1993 (in Ukr.)
19. Voznyak, M. (1994). UkrainskI perekazi. Krakiv-L.: UkraYin. v-vo (in Ukr.)
20. Evshan-zIllya. Legendi ta perekazi Podillya. (1992). L.: Chervona kalina (in Ukr.)
21. Dumi ta pisni pro B. Hmelnitskogo. (1970). Kyiv: Muz. Ukraina (in Ukr.)
22. UkrainskI narodnI dumi ta istorichni pisni. (1990). Kyiv: Veselka (in Ukr.)
23. Berezovskiy, I. P., Rodina, M. S. & Homenko V. G. IstorichnI pIsnI. Kyiv: AN URSR (in Ukr.)
- There are currently no refbacks.